I just responded to a "potty training advice" request from a friend on facebook. I thought I would post my "tips" here so I could remember them when Briley's time comes. Potty training Maddox has been the biggest challenge of parenting, so far. I'm sure we will look back and laugh one day, but not anytime soon! He is 3 1/2 years old today. He's 99% pee-pee trained (when he's awake. We haven't tackled the nap/nighttime yet) and probably about 75% poo-poo trained. He was 22 months old the first time he peed in the potty. It's been a LONG road!
Here are some things I have learned in this process:
#1-pull-ups don't work
#2 you must realize that you can't MAKE a child pee or poo on the potty. They can hold it a LONG time!
#3 NEVER, NEVER freak out or be negative in any way when a child poops in his underwear, even when the child has pooped in the potty several times and you know he is pooping in his underwear on purpose. This often leads to holding the poop which can lead to severe constipation. It turns into a viscious cycle. Fiber Gummies are our friend!
#4 treats and promises of trips to Chuck E Cheese do not work
#5 Never judge someone for having a 3 year old that's not potty trained!!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
No judging here! You're such an awesome trainer that I'll let you potty train my kids when the time comes!
Post a Comment